We Welcome Your Comments

Posted in: Community | 92 Comments »

You are invited to share your thoughts on this page. In keeping with our theme of hope and recovery and to make sure you leave feeling better rather than as if you’ve received a mega dose of  ‘let’s get depressed’ pills, we ask that you write about the positive aspects of your recovery process. You can write as much or as little as you like regarding any progress you are making, or a positive statement, a quote or anything that others may find encouraging.

This way the message board will be so uplifting, anyone having a challenging day can stop by and leave feeling rejuvenated and optimistic.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Add to favorites

92 Responses to “We Welcome Your Comments”

1. Bliss says:

“Resistance is the thief; SURRENDER is the gift giver.” ~Guru Singh

2. nick says:

Hello Baylissa,

I’ve read your book with great interest, it is truly awesome! I’m in the throes of a protracted w/d (+18 months free!) after a 7-8 years consumption of antidepressants mainly. Unfortunately i also took for a few months other psych drugs (neuroleptics and benzos) when i hit tolerance with my primary antidepressant (Paxil).
    This was just pure hell, i had turned into a zombie. Most of the psychiatrists are really just a bunch incompetent sadistic drug-dealers.
    I m 18 months free and have gotten rid of the mental/psychic symptoms -no anxiety, no insomnia, no depression (my original problems) -
    But, i still suffer a lot physically (burning pain, tinnitus, blurred vision, headaches), i m afraid to stay crippled that way. Will it ever go away – old same unrelenting question of the psych survivor…
    I keep walking of course and am determined to work on improving till my last breath.

I d like to know if you’ve experienced some further improvements in your recovery, as of Feb.2011. Have you really reached the final Door, as you mentioned in your book?

Thank you again for your book. It depicts almost exactly what i ve been (am) through.

Big hug
    (i hope i m not too familiar :) )

———————————————–
    Reply:

Hi Nick,

Thanks for being in touch. First of all, no, you’re not being too familiar. We’re all friends and the website is meant to be informal. :-)

I’m really pleased to hear that the book has helped you to cope. So sorry to know that you’re still having to endure the current physical symptoms. Everything you’ve described is common and at 18 months off, it means that more healing is taking place. You’ve asked, “Will it ever go away?” Over the years I have communicated with thousands of people in withdrawal and I don’t know of anyone whose symptoms persisted indefinitely. I can’t see why it should be any different for you. Our bodies are so very self-healing… don’t be surprised if you end up feeling better than you have in many years! There are a few who end up with one or two symptoms that take longer to disappear but at 18 months off, it’s much too soon to even consider this question! Just keep taking care of yourself.

Just one thought: If you are power-walking or walking for very long periods, it could be that your nervous system is being over-stimulated. If you’d like, you could cut down or omit the walking for some time just to see if the symptoms lessen in intensity. (Of course, if this does happen it could be coincidental but there’s no harm in trying.) Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best and hope that you will continue to see more and more improvements until you are completely recovered.

Re my situation, yes, I have continued to have further improvements and feel wonderful. I still have the involuntary movements but the episodes are much briefer, there is no pain, and I can easily not even remember that I have them! Thanks for asking… It’s all good.

Take good care of yourself and big hug back to you,
    Bliss

3. Ryan says:

I bought “Benzo-Wise” 18 months ago when I was beginning this journey and threw it away because I would not entertain the thought of a long withdrawal. All these months later, I bought another copy and have read it front to back in the last two days. It is truly one of the most comforting books I have read and I will strongly recommend it to anyone dealing with this nightmare, especially those in protracted withdrawal. God bless you for sharing your story.

4. Chris says:

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. *** Thich Nhat Hanh

Hope is definitely what’s keeping us going. Live in HOPE and GRATITUDE. Say “Thanks” in advance for RECOVERY. See yourself free of every symptom. Never give up HOPE. :-)

5. Anon says:

“Rise and rise again until lambs become lions.” – Robin Hood movie, 2010

6. Ryan says:

Wow, this site is bringing me a lot of comfort in a very difficult time. I am 15 months off benzos and really struggling. Three months ago, I was feeling significantly better but I am now in the midst of a 2 month setback and can’t seem to snap out of it. I have been obsessing about whether or not I did something to cause this and I just can’t think of anything. I don’t understand this. Any words of advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

———————————————–

Reply:

Hi Ryan,

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re having these challenges at fifteen months off. I know it can be discouraging to have this sort of setback after experiencing the kind of window you had three months ago. Try not to obsess about having done anything to trigger a setback. The nervous system has a way of recovering which has no pattern, rhyme or reason to it and with no scientific research, no one can really tell what triggers a wave. Even the most cautious of people sometimes end up having long periods where the symptoms are persistent. I always refer to this as the time when “deep healing” is taking place. :-) Try to see it as a positive.

It is not uncommon to still be experiencing symptoms at fifteen months off so try not to worry too much. Coping with withdrawal requires a lot of patience! It really does! So, do everything you can to accept what is happening as a necessary path to your healing – a part of the recovery process. And, while you wait, continue to take good care of yourself – avoid stimulants, over-exerting and anything else that may prove to be too much for your nervous system at this time. Try the deep breathing and other coping tools (look under the Resources Centre section of this site for “Coping/Self-Help”).

Focus on the things that uplift you and try not to get bogged down with too many negative stories. Withdrawal is temporary and one day all of this will be a faded memory for you. This too, shall pass!

7. stayinpostive says:

All you folks out there struggling with this nightmare i want to say to you don’t give up. like they tell you on this wonderful website we do get better. I had more than 80 symptoms and thought I was going to be permanently sick and sometimes I was convinced I was going to die, but one day my symmptoms went away and never came back. You’ve got to keep telling yourself that you are healing. It doesn’t matter if you are spaced out, in bad pain all over your body especially in the head back and neck like I was. I had burning all over, no memory and the worst thoughts that i can’t even repeat. nothing like that now. my life is good. i would say my life is better now because i don’t take things for granted anymore. Don’t let this get you down. like this Bliss ladys says you’ve gotta keep breathing and don’t fight the symptoms. just go with the flow. it took me some time to get well but i did. so keep the faith. good luck to everyone. stay positive.

8. Steve says:

Wow i am at .50 clonazpam and tapering off .25 xanax I at 1/4 xanax and was doing a 1/4 every week but have been having a rough time pins needles and twitching leg’s face eye’e My goodness I hope I can make it.

You WILL make it! Remember that the pins and needles, twitching, etc. are very common withdrawal symptoms. So try not to panic. Just breathe through it all and accept the symptoms as a necessary part of the recovery process. You will eventually be benzo-free and this experience will be behind you. For now, just take one day at a time and take good care of yourself. You WILL make it through this! :-)

(If seeing your doctor will make you feel more reassured, then you should consider doing this (especially if s/he is knowledgeable about withdrawal). This is why tapering under medical supervision is necessary.)

9. yourbenzofriend says:

The winter of the soul, in its seeming barrenness, its times of seeming unproductivity, its times of silence and seeming stalemate, is perhaps it most important season. Without it, there is no recovery of freshness and vitality; no bursting forth in springtime splendor.

~Dwight Judy

10. Steve says:

Thanks Very much Bliss. Yesterday I had about 4 Hours of feeling Great. I am not sure how this happend I wish I had alot more.

This is strange In 2000 I was on 6 to 8 mg of xanax a day and slowly got off without all this w/d. It has been about 2 years now of being on klonopin 1.5 mg and .25 mg of xanax. I think I am at 3 months now and I am at .50 mg klonopin and 1/4 of the .25 xanax. Knowing what I know now I think oh my God I wish someone would have screamed oh no do not take that when the doctor put me on klonopin. The w/d has been hell. I just have to say it again waking up one morning after about 4 hours of sleep walking the floor not sure of what was going on with Me.

I found this site My Island in My storm mind You I have had alot of test and nothing was found. I thank God for a loving Wife. I was like a Kid on Christmas morning after finding this site I could not wait to tell My Wife. My mind had tried to make me think there was something else wrong with Me till I read some of the w/d that went along with coming of this drug.

I just wanted to let each of You know much You sharing Your stories about Your w/d has helped Me keep My right mind. I keep each of You close to My Heart and in My Thoughts and Prayers Each Day. One of My wishes for today is that each of You have a little ray of sunshine in Your day. I think of this Like a ship We are all in We are paddling together some day’s My paddle does not reach the water too good and Yours does so on these days We help each Other out. We will get this Ship To where We are headed By being a Team. Thanks From My Heart to Yours for being on My Team.

11. Steve says:

Hello I know I have not posted in a while I hope Everyone is getting better. I have a question has Anyone had muscle cramps in there low back I go to bed and wake up about 4 hours later with these knots in My low back and My leg’s feeling like pins and needles and I still have quivering from my lower stomach to My chest. I use heat and massage. I also work with My breathing. This seems to help alot. Thanks Steve.

Hello Steve,
    Thank you for updating us. I hope someone will reply to your question soon. In the meantime I’ll just share that this symptom has been reported by others. It’s typical of withdrawal and usually goes with time. I’m pleased to hear that the heat and massage work for you. It’s funny how a remedy that works for one person can sometimes cause problems for another. I remember reacting badly to massage, as have others. So this is good news. And yes, you can’t go wrong with the breathing – it’s an amazing coping tool! I hope you’ll begin to see improvements in your symptoms soon and wish you all the best. ~Bliss

12. Heather says:

Faith is a bird that feels dawn breaking and sings while it is still dark. ~Rabindranath Tagore

13. Danny says:

I am new to these forums. I underwent a CT detox from Valium 27 months ago and for the 1st year I was on an anti dep (Mirtazapine) and my symptoms were quite moderate. After coming off the AD 15 months ago my symptoms and many new ones including burning, itching, muscle pain, fatigue, tinnitus, vibrations, tension, insomnia, etc (I have over 25) got MUCH worse. I have been so terrified that I will never get well. After seeing what many of you have written here it gives me hope that I will one day get ‘ME’ back again. Thank you so very much, you don’t know how much this has helped me.

———————————————–

Reply:

Danny,

Thank you for writing in. I’m so sorry to hear that your symptoms have intensified. Try not to worry too much. This is common. The antidepressant would have masked some of the symptoms but think of it now as the “real” healing taking place. Your nervous system will now get the opportunity to heal completely so in one way, what you’re experiencing is a good thing! :-) All you can do now is just take one day at a time and allow your recovery process to unfold. Your receptors will heal in time, and try not to anticipate how long it will take. It might be sooner than you think, or you may need more time. Just trust that the process will be exactly as it should, in order for you to resume normal life. Patience, acceptance and hope will be your best companions while you wait! Breathe deeply and keep telling yourself that “This too, shall pass.”

With thoughts of wellness,
    ~Bliss

14. Sue says:

That quote made me smile when I thought of the pears as recovery and if I am patient it will fall in my lap but if I try to force it I will make things worse. I can relate!

15. Sue says:

A man watches his pear tree day after day, impatient for the ripening of the fruit. Let him attempt to force the process, and he may spoil both fruit and tree. But let him patiently wait, and the ripe fruit at length falls into his lap.
    Abraham Lincoln

16. mjisfree says:

Bliss i had to come back and thank you. every day you used to tell me i was healing and i used to find it difficult to beleive. the symptoms wouldn’t let up and i was in a lot of pain and mental anguish but i kept breathing like you said and i wouldn’t stop telling myself i was getting better. it’s been a while since i have had a symptom. like 5 months. I feel great. i feel better than i can remember even before the celexa and xanax. this stuff is toxic. i never thought i would heal but i have. all you folks out there don’t give up. we get better.

17. Jo says:

I got your book and it helps me a lot. I read it everyday. It made me find my own way to cope with the terrible symptoms. What I do is breathe in deeply and say “i’m doing okay” then I breathe out slowly. Then I breathe in again and say “i am healing” and breathe out slowly. I do this until I calm down and I do it regardless of what is going on with me. I used to freak out a lot because of the burning, pain, tingling, intense anxiety, etc. but I’m feeling so much better and very optimistic about recovering. Thanks for a great website and book. They are a godsend. All the best to everyone. We are all healing. Jo

18. Heather says:

“Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark.” -George Iles
    Keep the faith that “this too shall pass” and that you WILL make it to the light of recovery.

19. Baylissa says:

My dear Friends and Site Visitors,

I know that for most of you this year was extremely challenging. You’ve had to cope with unrelenting symptoms and all the repercussions… But new beginnings await… Recovery is right on schedule. Let the wings of HOPE take you into this new year. May it bring you full recovery, prosperity, love and happiness – everything you desire for yourselves and more.

20. Steve says:

Hello It has been a rough time the last 3 weeks pins and needles and tingling in
    My leggs and head also some burning rubber legg feeling. I did get my test back on my leggs and I have good blood flow and no clots. The Doctor thought the muscle pain could have been circulation. I had a loss in My Family and had to be out of town for two weeks I guess the stress really set Me off bad.I did remember the breathing You have on here that was a life saver it really calmed me down. I think about each of You everyday and hope You are making progess. I am still at .50 mg down from 1.50 mg. Thanks so very much for this site and the People being so kind to share. Good luck Everyone We are going to beat this We are not quiters. Best Reguards to Everyone sorry for the long post.

———————————————–
    Reply:

Dear Steve,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am so sorry for your loss and also to hear that you’re having to deal with these uncomfortable symptoms. They are common during withdrawal (withdrawal induced) and so it’s no surprise that your test results were normal. This tends to be the case. Yes, the breathing exercises are very powerful and I am really pleased for you that they have helped to calm you down. I wish you all the best with the rest of your taper. Eventually you will be benzo free and enjoying a new beginning. Thanks for the kind wishes to everyone. And you’re right – people who go through withdrawal are definitely winners!! :-)

All the best to you and yours in 2011,
    ~Bliss

21. nursing jobs says:

Great site. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to some friends!

22. Anon says:

Never fear shadows…. that always means there is a light shining somewhere.
    - Jonathan Santos

23. Sally says:

someone sent me this quote……I have to post it here. “The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination.” by Marian Zimmer Bradley

this is true for us. we will all recover tho some quicker than others, but if we take the journey never losing sight of hope, keeping hope in our hearts, it will be much, much better than if we are in despair all the time, if we worry and fret about the symptoms and forget that one day WE WILL HEAL.

happy weekend to everyone. let’s keep HOPING!!

24. Rodney says:

Today 12/14/2010 I am 38 months off Benzodiazepines and SSRI’s. I thought I would be recovered my now but I am not. I have numerous symptoms daily that can come and go at any given time. I was never like this until I was prescribed Benzodiazepines and SSRI’s.This has effected me in many way emotionally, physically, spiritually and financially. The mental anguish and torment these drugs has brought to my life can not be measured. The people who prescribed these drugs need to be accountable for there actions. These are the list of the symptoms I experience and this is subject to change hourly or daily without notice. Emotional Blunting, Emotional Amnesia, Avoidance/Agographobia, Fatigue/Exhaustion, Brain Fog/Brain Cloudiness, Lethargy, Forgetfulness/Absentmindedness, Derealization, Depression, Insomnia, Tinnitus, Anxiety\Palpitations, Serotonin/GABA inbalances, No Energy Lack of Vitality, Cognitive decline/Memory issues.

I never had any of these symptoms prior to being prescribed Benzodiazepines and SSRI’s. I’m sure many of you can relate to this long enduring road to recovery.
    Rodney

————————————————

Reply:

Thank you, Rodney, for sharing what has been happening with you as you make your way to full recovery. And CONGRATS on being 38 months benzo free!! :-) I am sorry to hear that you’re having such a rough recovery journey.

Yes, withdrawal can be a very challenging process and can impact life in many ways. Just keep trusting that your healing is taking place, even if at times, when the symptoms are intense, it seems a remote concept. We have been blessed with amazing bodies – very resilient and self-healing. There is soooo much that the nervous system can withstand! So, dig deep down for more patience and keep that fire of hope burning. As devastating as withdrawal can be, the reality is that it is a temporary situation and sometimes a necessary path to recovery. Many have felt that it would never end or that major damage had been done, only to find that the symptoms disappeared and life returned to normal, often better than it was before!! Take good care of yourself at this time, one day… one moment at a time. This too, shall pass…

25. Libby says:

“When you have come to the edge of all light that you know and are about to drop off into the darkness of the unknown, Faith is knowing one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or You will be taught to fly” Patrick Overton

26. Medical Jobs says:

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your posts. Thanks!

27. free government grants says:

found your site on del.icio.us today and really liked it.. i bookmarked it and will be back to check it out some more later

28. Heather says:

Hope is always available to us. When we feel defeated, we need only take a deep breath and say, “Yes,” and hope will reappear.
    ~ Monroe Forester

29. healingeveryday says:

Hope keeps me going. I have bad symptoms but everyday I tell myself they are this bad because deep, deep healing is going on inside! LOL I decided that since freaking out and worrying doesn’t help anyway I might as well do like Bliss says and focus on recovery. My affirmation is that “Every day in every way I am getting better and better.” I don’t need to know every detail about how this is happening, I just know that IT IS.

30. Ashley says:

This site is wonderful. I am 5 months off all benzos and recovery is slow and painful. This has been an incredibly hard week for me. I hate being sick, and am full of impatience because I want my suffering to end. I believe it will, because I have to. All of us will heal. Our bodies and minds are healing every day. Remember, recovery is not linear. Remember to breathe- healing is taking place all the time. I wish all of you healing, and am eternally grateful for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Reply: Thank you Ashley! Yes, recovery can be slow and painful at five months off but you’re so right to keep believing that you will heal. Tens of thousands before you have, and you will too! :-) Great attitude and advice – thanks for sharing.

31. Steve says:

I am so happy I found this site My Wife is always telling me things will get better. Less than 2 years ago I had a toxic reaction to avalox after 2 doctors told me I have nerve damage from this and muscle twitching that they ruled out als and was put on clonazepam I was taking 1.5 mg a day 2 times I have tried to get off this not knowing that cold turkey was not the way to do it I would make it 72 hours the first time and right at 80 the next. I am down to.50mg right now and am having my right eye buzzing and deep burning in my legg,s and feet pins and needles muscle jerks and electric feeling going down both leggs and My stomach quivers and chest neck and arms. Let Me say how much I thank You for shareing I thought I was going crazy and now I know I am not the only one with this. My Heart goes out to Everyone with this happening to them. Thanks so much for having this site.

————————————————

Reply:

You are welcome, Steve, and thank you for sharing your story. We are pleased to know that you’ve found this site to be helpful. Everything you’ve described is typical of withdrawal – the buzzing, burning, pins and needles, muscle jerks, etc. so try to not let them distress you too much. They won’t last forever – this is just what happens while your nervous system adjusts to the reductions in your taper. Once you’re completely benzo free and the recovery process is complete, you’ll feel like a new person. :-) In the meantime, take good care of yourself. Acceptance, patience, hope, focusing on the positives, being kind and gentle with yourself, breathing, etc. will all help to make your journey “lighter”…. All the very best to you.

32. Chris says:

I know that I am healing. I will never stop believing it. Why shouldn’t I heal? Too many before me are better now. My nervous system is healing. This is my truth.

33. Love your site man keep up the good work

34. val says:

This is an email from a recovered BZ friend of mine:

“Every time we have a downturn it feels like the worst…always makes us lose hope…always feels permanent;that’s the nature of the beast……don’t believe it or buy into it. It is just our brain body on pause, trying to heal and recharge its batteries….healing is painful ….this is just a temporary it will pass.

Don’t lose hope!
    Don’t give up!”

(Thank you Val – you’re an Earth Angel. :-) )

35. Libby says:

I can feel my brain healing although the symptoms are still here. I will never give up hope of my recovery. I fully expect to be healed and I will feel this way until my symptoms go. Nothing is going to make me lose hope or faith. I deserve to be healthy and I accept this truth. I KNOW my healing is taking place. This thanksgiving I am grateful and most of all I am grateful for my health.

36. davids says:

I am 37 months off a c/t. I am still so miserable. This is relenting. Brain fog, head pain, anxiety, insomnia, derealization, dizzines, fatigue. Any words of hope from anyone this far out and healed? Thanks!!!

————————————————

Reply:

David, we are very sorry to hear that things are still bad for you at 37 months off. All the symptoms you describe are typical of withdrawal and yes, this can happen even at the stage, so try not to give up hope. We know it can be disheartening and frustrating to have to cope with persistent symptoms but keep trusting that despite this, your recovery is taking place (because it is! :-) ). Try to do whatever you know helps you to cope – maybe using a breathing technique or speaking positively to yourself, avoid stimulants and over-exerting yourself, and look after yourself well. As you know, withdrawal is temporary – it’s just that for some people it may last longer than others. But this does not mean you won’t heal. It just means that your nervous system needs more time to heal. So, dig deep down for more patience and keep believing… hoping… knowing.. that this too, shall pass.

37. Cindy says:

I was able to recover in 1999 with the love and support of a naturopathic practitioner. One of the first things I did to help reverse my repetitive negative “I’m never going to get well” thinking, was to write on dozens of index cards,I AM HEALING, and post them all over my house. Everywhere my eyes landed I was reminded that I was healing, and before long, ALL of my benzo symptoms healed. Believe it and you too will see it.

Blessings, love and encouragement to all of you as you continue down your path to total recovery.

38. Anon says:

“Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.” M.A.Radmacher

39. Bliss says:

“Do not anticipate trouble or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.” ~Benjamin Franklin

Dear Friends, Please don’t worry about what may never happen. Many of you have written to express your concerns regarding recent benzo news. Don’t worry, Don’t worry, Don’t worry! Don’t anticipate the worst! Our lobbyists must focus on the most extreme cases and issues in order to put an end to the benzo madness. It is necessary and badly needed and we are grateful.

Meanwhile, back on the Benzo Ranch, we must keep in the sunlight! The reality is that worrying does not prevent anything from happening. Instead, it heightens anxiety and intensifies symptoms. So, stay focused on being well, on recovery, on all things positive and of the light. Patience, courage, hope and acceptance will lead your way on this journey. THIS TOO, SHALL PASS…

40. admin says:

No matter what you may be having to cope with today, keep trusting that YOU ARE HEALING.

Even if you are having troubling psychological or physical symptoms, keep trusting that YOU ARE HEALING.

Even if you have read disturbing stories that make you doubt that you’ll fully recover, keep trusting that YOU ARE HEALING.

Even if you cannot see the light at the end of the journey, keep trusting that YOU ARE HEALING.

No matter what today brings you, keep trusting, dig deep down into that well of courage that you may not even know you have, AND KEEP YOUR HOPE ALIVE.

Know that THIS TOO, SHALL PASS…

Sending Light and thoughts of Wellness to all,
    ~Bliss

41. Jules says:

@Benzonomore…me too!!! most of my symptoms are gone and i was scared to say but i dont think their coming back its been 15 weeks. i am in shock but very happy too. relief and now i dont know what to do with myself. :-) awesome

42. BenzoNoMore says:

At last the light is here! Can’t belive more than 4 years of torture with my head hurting like it was splitting in two, shooting pains, sensation of my head being sawed, vibrations, unbearable pain all gone!!!!!! WAHEY!!! Most of it stopped in June but didn’t want to jinx it by saying anything. TBH I expected it to come back. Now been months since I had a symptom. After 4 years I can sleep again. I am beside myself HAPPY. Thank you Baylissa for telling me over and over again to think and say I was recovering. I remember asking you how can I say I am healing when I am in so much pain and you gently insisted I was. I did say the affirmations and they kept me pretty hopeful. Girl your an angel.

I am sayin goodbye with these words of encouragement: When it feels like the symptoms wont give you a break keep trusting, keep hoping, keep brave because this sh** WILL END ONE DAY. Look for reasons to smile, look for things to be grateful about, give a helping hand when you can, stay away from negative people, stay away from pills, alcohol, analyzing. Don’t overdo anything. This stuff goes away. THERE COMES A TIME WHEN WE HEAL. I’m outta here and off to live my life. Baylissa your amazing!! THANX

43. admin says:

Alan,

Thanks for your query and for your kind words of encouragement to those in withdrawal. Benzo withdrawal poses many challenges for loved ones too, so we appreciate what you must be going through. In response to your query: you may find the forums useful — there will be others with similar circumstances. Here is the page with the links to the forums.

Also, there is some information for family members on this page:

Wishing you all the very best

44. Jess says:

“Life isn’t that unfair, really. In every test that it sends us there’s an opportunity.” -Giacomo Campiotti

I know that something good will come out of this situation. I can’t say what it is yet but time will tell. I will cling to hope and keep trusting.

45. Alan says:

Is there any place out there I can find a support group for those coping with a loved one going through the Benzo WD process??? I have no one to talk to and want so much more to understand and be able to better support my wife… Please any help would be greatly appreciated, and to all of you going through your own struggles please remember it gets better… The road is what you make of it and nothing has so much control as to set your destiny for you… I send you all support and strength…

46. Chris says:

“Every day, in every way, I am getting better and better.” :-)

47. Ricardo says:

this has been a long nightmare for me. took ativan for many years quit cold turkey.. withdrawal for more years than you could imagine.. sometimes okay sometimes flare up. sometimes improving sometimes felt worse than when i just quit. i never gave up on healing. had great time no symptoms for a few years then symptoms returned full blow. now symptoms gone again. because it doesn’t get better right away doesn’t mean it won’t get better at all. benzo withdrawal can be beaten even if it takes many, many years. i know full healing is my fate. i have to keep the hope going. healing to you all.

48. kfz versicherung vergleich says:

last week our group held a similar talk about this topic and you point out something we have not covered yet, thanks.

- Kris

49. Heather says:

“Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”
    ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

50. Nona says:

I can see, I can stand, I can walk, I can eat a little, I can sleep a little, I can talk, I am alive, I have a lot to be thankful for.

51. Pharmk859 says:

Hello! interesting site!

52. Chris says:

“The two most powerful warriors are patience and time.” Leo Tolstoy

53. BenzoSurvivor says:

I am breathing slowly and telling myself that I am healing. I will look back at this time and smile because I made it!!!

54. Ruth says:

I am only 20 days off my Benzo – I am so glad to have found this site. I am suffering more than I knew was possible. I am hoping to gain some encouragement and comfort from the messages I read here. This is such a difficult time, but when I see that others can do it, it gives me HOPE.

55. Heather says:

A little affirmation to remind us that we are constantly healing, we can’t see it with our eyes, but it is happening!
    He who creates also re-creates.
    I am being re-created now.
    The life force is filling me to overflowing.
    I am well, healthy, strong.
    I thank God, my Creator, my Re-creator.
    Health, vigor, energy, has come to me.
    Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

56. BenzoSurvivor says:

“If you will call your troubles experiences, and remember that every experience develops some latent force within you, you will grow vigorous and happy, however adverse your circumstances may seem to be.”

John Heywood

57. Thankful says:

Well, imagine you’ve come off your benzos and you don’t know what in blazes name is going on and the you find this amazing website!! About as good as it gets. This is great. Thank you!!!!!!

58. Chris says:

I can’t think now so I will go lie down and dream of what life will be like when I recover. I am grateful for my healing.

59. I'masurvivor says:

I feel happy that I am finally losing weight. It has been a long road and I almost gave up on looking anything close to how I did before the benzo. My benzo belly is going and my digestion is improving. :-) Doing a happy dance!!!!

60. Chris says:

Today I am thankful for my eyesight because I can read, watch tv and see the caring and concerned looks on the faces of those who love me. :-)

61. Judy says:

Al,

I read your comment of today. I would, very much, like to learn more about your success! Is there anyway we can get in touch? Feel free to contact me at JESurfing24@yahoo.com.

I’d appreciate it! Struggling with tapering off of Klonopin. Down to .875 mgs. Having hideous burning, stinging, vibrations, pinching, etc. in my lower back. Can’t seem to get below .875 mgs.

Hope to hear from you!

Thank you!

Judy

62. Al says:

I suffered with terrible symptoms for over 4 years and I almost gave up. i quit cold turkey off xanax, valium and effexor and had awful obsessive thoughts, parnoia, the burning and pain was a nightmare because I had it all over my body, nightmare head pains which were the worse, muscle spasms, electric shocks, digestive problems, i cannot name all the symptoms because had about 80 in all and they were very intense. I was confined to bed some of the time and house bound for the rest of the time. I didn’t have the windows like some people do, it was hell 24/7.

I came here to tell you folks out there that you must never give up. If i healed anybody can. I did try supplements, green drinks and other things but they did not help and i think made me worse. I stuck to a bland diet, no vitamins, no alcohol, no caffeine and no sugar. These things rev up the system so if you are in a bad way like i was don’t take them.

I haven’t had any symptoms for months now. i feel 100% recovered and it is a great feeling!! hang in there. don’t give up, don’t give up, don’t give up.

Al

63. Judy says:

Dear Baylissa,

I just discovered that you have a new site! It is beautiful! So much has happened for you created your original site, hasn’t it? I am so pleased for you.

I will never forget the support that you, (and your former site) provided me during the days of my cold-turkey. I have told you before, but, I’ll say it again: I could not have gotten through those days without your writing to me, without the information that you had on your site.

I hope that millions of people discover your site! Millions will be able to recover, due to all of your efforts.

How great this must feel, to be able to help so many “benzo” sufferers.

I hope, as well, that MANY doctors and other medical professionals, access this site so that they, too, can learn and learn the truth!

God bless you for all that you have done to heal yourself and all you have done to bring healing to others.

Most sincerely,

Judy

64. BenzoNoMore says:

Today I will be gentle with myself. I will do only what feels comfortable. I will look after myself and treat myself in a special way. I will remind myself that I am healing.

65. benzosurvivor says:

Of all ills that one endures, HOPE is a cheap and universal cure.

~Abraham Cowley

66. admin says:

Laura, I am so sorry to hear that you are having these symptoms. All you’ve described are typical of withdrawal. Being on a benzo for longer than 2 to 4 weeks is classed as long term and, therefore, these symptoms can be experienced. Please don’t give up hope. :-) Many who have had these symptoms are much, much better now. If those who healed came back to share their stories you would find that thousands before you have had these intense symptoms and are now well again. It is not unusual for symptoms to take longer than 3 months to go, so please give your nervous system more time to heal. Try not to panic and just breathe into the moment. The best way is to accept the symptoms and take things one day at a time. Focus on the positive stories. You WILL make it through this.

67. Laura says:

I am looking for hope and inspiration …

(Email edited by Admin)

68. Vi says:

I found Baylissa and her original website almost 3 years ago. I was in my second or third month of acute WD at the time. I had a myriad of acute, unrelenting symptoms for 9 months and I did not (could not) leave my house during that time. I was terrified.

I put almost all Baylissa’s suggestions into practice, even when I didn’t think they were working. I can remember her saying “Affirmations have no negative side effects.” and I thought, What do I have to lose? The help, support and suggestions on her website and in her book got me through the most difficult time in my life.

I just passed the 3 year mark of my Benzo free anniversary. My healing was slow and I attribute that to a cold turkey WD. I do not suggest that to anyone. I thought I was different and that I could do this WD thing by myself. I was wrong.

I felt much better w/ intermittent symptoms after 15 months. I was out in the world and among the living. I knew every time I experienced a symptom it was my body and my brain healing. I did not feed into the fear, I used an affirmation or some diaphragmatic breathing or meditation and I was able to live life, even with some pretty scary symptoms. I still have mild symptoms but they are much fewer and further apart than ever before. I know one day I will be fully healed.

Thank you Baylissa for all your help, hope and the courage to post your experience to help others. You have touched my life for the better.

69. Dan says:

i came here to check out the new website and thought i would drop a line of encouragement to those of you still healing. i never knew i would feel this good again. Ativan for 11 years and my withdrawal felt like it would never end. i counted more than 80 symptoms. 4 and half years off and i feel great. i don’t take any meds and take care of my body better than i used to. life is much better and no anxiety. hang in there. you will recover.

70. Rod says:

I never thought I would heal but I did. I’m 95% healed, the other 5% left is Tinnitus and some brain fog, I nap when my body says nap,I couldn’t leave the house for 2 years,I’m on my 3rd year now and I leave the house every day rain or shine. You must trust, I know it’s hard to do
    but you can do it. You will recover. Tell yourself, I will recover. 3 years Ativan free!!! Much love to you all. Rod.
    PS Love to you Baylissa You are my #1 Angel.

71. Fran says:

I was giving up hope as one of my symptoms seemed to be never going away. I woke up this morning and it is much, much better. I am happy, happy, happy. Wishing all of us healing.

72. benzosurvivor says:

I am discovering a strength in me that I never knew I had. It feels good. :-0

“In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.”
    – Albert Camus

73. Amy says:

“Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it.”
    Tori Amos

74. benzosurvivor says:

If you’re scared, just holler and you’ll find it aint so lonesome out there. – Joe Sugden

75. Rhetta says:

Just know that whatever you are doing, wherever you are, your healing is taking place and all things are working for your highest good!!

76. anna says:

sometimes i cant help it. i freak out when day after day this madness is going. when my doctor says it can’t be withdrawal i get really worried. this site makes me calm. i feel positive now. i WILL GET THROUGH THIS!!!

77. Mike says:

Glorius sunshine today. Have a good one all.
    ;-)

78. Chris says:

I like this quote for us:

“Healing takes time. Despite great advances in medicine, the biggest part of your recovery is attributable to the enormous healing power
    inside you. The body heals itself according to its
    own timetable – anxious thoughts never hasten recuperation.”

Criswell Freeman

79. Amy says:

Let nothing disturb you.
    Let nothing frighten you.
    All things pass away.
    God never changes.
    It is with patience that
    All things are completed.
    For those who have God
    Nothing is lacking.
    God alone is sufficient.

80. Bliss says:

My friends, we lost all the quotes and clichés from the old site but I’m in the process of compiling a new page with more, as well as positive statements. In the interim, here are a few that I recall:

“Fall down seven times, stand up eight.”

“The longest road turns.”

“Time heals.”

“Everything will be okay in the end, if things aren’t okay, it’s not the end.”

“There is a light at the end of the tunnel.”

“Behind the clouds the sun is shining.”

“No illness lasts a hundred years.”

“Soon this will be a distant memory.”

“A bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.”

“Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I’ll try again tomorrow. ~Mary Anne Radmacher

“The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter.”

And my mum’s favourite: “This too, shall pass.”

Today I am grateful that my memory is sooooo much improved!! :D :D :D

81. Chris says:

Today is scary. My symptoms are intense and I don’t feel right but a voice in my head keeps telling me I am going to be okay. I am listening and trusting and hoping and praying and the more I do that the more I feel that I AM going to be very very okay. Last Christmas Baylissa told me to keep looking to the sun and all the shadows will fall behind me. This is what I am doing today. For all of us still healing we will get there one day.

82. BenzoNoMore says:

My DH is an amazing guy! I have been like a zombie during this nightmare and he is very supportive. I just want to express my appreciation for his love and care. He is my angel. :-)

83. Heather says:

I am grateful to God for getting me through one day at a time.
    I am grateful to Baylissa for her energy, light and positivity through her book and web creations.
    I am grateful that I have been able to participate in more of life’s activities.
    I am grateful that I may pray for each of you that you will be strengthened and healed.

84. admin says:

We are never given more than we can handle. Just when you think you have no more strength or courage to cope, you find extra reserves from somewhere. Keep the hope alive and keep trusting that your recovery is unfolding in the way that is just right for you! I see you VIBRANT, HEALTHY & WHOLE ♥♥♥.

85. Elizabeth says:

This morning my 8 year old held my hand and looked at me. She told i’m going to get better because she prayed hard for mom to get better and be like before. :-) I had to hold back the tears but in my heart I knew her prayers will be answered.

86. Rhetta says:

This website is the most complete, informative and resourceful site that I have found in my benzo experience. It gives me a great deal of hope and support to cope. Thank you for leading me on this road to recovery!

87. Amy says:

I was feeling very down today. Worried about my symptoms because i stopped work and need to get back. i was very, very sad and scared about losing my home everything my head was spinnin. I listened to your podcast about positve talk and i tried it. i feel diferent now more optamistic. thanx i will listen every day. :-)

88. Jay says:

Now off ativan going on 4 ytears. My withdrawal was a ngihtmare. Now is mostly over and I feel good most of the time. Never give up. Never think you are not healing. Keep thinking positive even when it feels like you gonna die! You’ve gotta go through it to get out of it and you will get out of it. Keep the faith. Jay

89. kittenmittens says:

I am very happy to have found this page, it is very uplifting

90. Libby says:

I am feeling a lot better today. I notice my head pain and numbness are not as bad as last few months. At last I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. :)

91. benzohead says:

my happy thought The good thing that has happened to me today is this new website. still having a lotta symptomsbut so much good stuff is here. Today I am clinging to hope of a full recovery. I am thankful that I have my forum, this site and my benzo friends to talk to. and hey, the sun is still shining. lol

92. Chris says:

Your new website is great!!! I am loving it. Thank you!

Share Your Thoughts...

Verification Required

Be sure to visit our "Community" section and share your thoughts with us on our very uplifting "Comments" page. To join us on FaceBook, see the link below.
Connect on FaceBook
English flagItalian flagKorean flagChinese (Simplified) flagChinese (Traditional) flagPortuguese flagGerman flag
French flagSpanish flagJapanese flagArabic flagRussian flagGreek flagDutch flag
Czech flagCroatian flagDanish flagFinnish flagHindi flagPolish flagRomanian flag
Swedish flagNorwegian flagFilipino flagIndonesian flagThai flagTurkish flagHungarian flag
Font Size
Click on buttons to change font size.

Disclaimer: Nothing on this website is a substitute for advice, diagnosis or treatment from a medical professional. Recovery Road takes no liability for any loss, damage or expense resulting directly or indirectly from action taken as a result of information provided here.
Copyright 2010 Recovery Road. All Rights Reserved.